Mmmmm chili. Nothing is better on a cold night than a bowl of thick & hearty chili, especially when it’s meatless & loaded with good-for-you ingredients. I serve mine with some jalapeno corn bread, or with plenty of tortilla chips to use as forks. It’s comfort food at it’s max. If you load up your slow cooker on a Sunday morning your house will smell amazing all day while you relax & do whatever it is you do on Sundays (nap, watch football, read, clean).
If possible, don’t skip the chipotle pepper in this! It gives the chili a smoky background & a bit of added heat. This chili is slightly sweet at first taste, but the heat hits later. Don’t touch the pepper with your hands & you’ll be okay.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
Servings: 6 ● Points Plus: 6 (chili only - about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1” cubes
- 15 oz black beans
- 15 oz dark kidney beans
- 15 oz chickpeas
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 TB cumin
- 2 TB Mexican chili powder
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, pepper chopped + 1 TB sauce
1) Place all ingredients into your slow cooker, toss together.
2) Cook on low 7-8 hours. Give it a stir every now & then for a quick second. You can skip the stirring if you’re making this while you’re at work.
*If you have a large slow cooker you can toss some corn bread batter right on top of the chili & let it cook all day at the same time. You’ll have moist corn bread & hearty chili ready at the end of the day.