This is one of those amazing one pot meals that comes as the result of being towards the end of the week with random groceries left in the house. I basically looked through my fridge & pantry & pulled these ingredients together. The result was a warm & hearty bowl of soup that tasted a little like ginger, a little like garam masala, and a lot like winter.
Wintery Kale & Chickpea Soup
Servings: 6 ● Points Plus: 6
- Large bunch of kale, washed & stems removed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1” cubes
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- Mushrooms (1-2 cups sliced)
- 1 online, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TB garam masala
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 TB ginger
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- hot sauce for topping if desired
- 8 cups water
- 2-4 vegan bouillon cubes, or as many needed on package for 8 cups water
1) In a large soup pot, saute the onion, garlic, sweet potato, & carrot with the olive oil for 5 minutes.
2) Add the garam masala, salt, pepper, red pepper, and ginger & saute until fragrant. Add the chickpeas & mushrooms & toss.
3) Add the water, bouillon cubes, & quinoa. Add the kale in bunches & let it wilt into the soup. Bring to a boil & simmer at least 30 minutes. If you have time simmer at least an hour.
4) Top each bowl with a little hot sauce & serve.