Frank does not eat soup of any kind, except loaded baked potato. After talking to my friend Erica last night, who was making potato soup at home, I decided that I should make this for him. He loved it! The only other person who loves potatoes as much as Frank is my sister, who’s going to my house to get leftovers this afternoon.
This soup is a lightened up version of the loaded baked potato soup you would get at Applebee’s or any other restaurant. It’s so filling & perfect for a cold day. My recipe is adapted from Cooking Light’s. I subbed chicken stock for some of the milk & really liked the result. Top it with some extra crispy bacon, low fat shredded cheese, and scallions!
Baked Potato Soup.
Servings: 8 ● Points Plus: 8 (does not include toppings)
- 2 1/2- 3lbs baking potatoes (4 potatoes total)
- 2 TB Smart Balance
- 1 TB butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 cups fat free, reduced sodium, chicken stock
- 1/4 large onion, diced
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crispy
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper (more to taste)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 cup fat free half & half
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar
- Toppings: Crispy bacon, shredded cheddar, sliced scallions
1) Pre-heat oven to 400. Pierce potatoes all over with a fork, wrap in aluminum foil, and bake for one hour. Once cooked, immerse in cold water & peel. Mash 3 of them, and dice the 4th.
2) Melt the butter in a large soup pot & add the onions and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and saute until soft, about 5-8 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high & add the flour. Whisk together. Slowly whisk in the half & half, and the low fat milk. Whisk like crazy until the flour is incorporated & it begins to bubble. Let it bubble, then reduce heat to medium & add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat again.
3) Add all of the potatoes, salt, pepper, onion powder, and bacon. Turn off the heat & fold in the sour cream (it will separate if too hot). Place back over medium heat and add the cheese. Stir & simmer for 20 minutes.
4) Ladle into bowl & top with whatever toppings you like.