I had been thinking about making this recipe for a long time, and finally gave it a shot one night when I was having a major falafel craving. The results were amazing & they came together very fast. Normally falafel is deep fried, but these are lightly pan fried & finished in the oven. Serve them in a pita with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and tzatziki sauce for a major comfort food dinner.
*The points listed are for the falafel patties only.
Servings: 4 ● Points Plus: 3
- 1 1/2 cup canned chickpeas (1 can), completely drained
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 TB ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Place chickpeas in a food processor & pulse until roughly chopped. Add all other ingredients and pulse until blended. Refrigerate the “dough” for 15 minutes.
2. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Heat a non-stick pan & spray with olive oil spray. Form the dough into 12 patties and cook each one in the pan until the outside is crispy.
4. Transfer cooked patties to a baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes then flip patties and cook another 6 minutes. Remove & let cool a bit.
5. Serve patties in pita with lettuce, tomato & any sauce you like (I like tzatziki or tahini sauce).
*Pita & sauce will add points!