I saw this recipe on Crockpot 365 & immediately wanted to try it. I was nervous about making cornbread in the slow cooker, but I figured it was worth a shot. The cornbread actually came out close to perfect. It was crispy on top & moist inside. It was a great topping for the BBQ sauce, onions, & shredded chicken. The original recipe said to use leftover cooked chicken, but I just threw the breasts into the slow cooker raw. I popped the cornbread topping off when it was finished, shredded the chicken, and placed the cornbread back on top. Serve this with a shredded lettuce or cole slaw salad & it’s a perfect weeknight dinner.
I thought this came out great, but DBF wouldn’t eat it. He also doesn’t eat pizza so I wouldn’t take his word on anything food related (love him anyway!). It was a little on the sweet side for me, but I’m thinking that’s because I used regular BBQ sauce. Next time I’m going to try this with chipotle BBQ sauce.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Chicken & Cornbread
Servings: 8 ● Points Plus: 10
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 box cornbread mix (I use Jiffy)
- 1/4 cup water
1) Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker.Top with the diced onion, corn, & barbecue sauce. Toss together & make sure chicken is coated. Add the water.
2) Mix the cornbread in a bowl according to the package instructions (omit oil or butter if listed). Spread the cornbread mixture on top of chicken.
3) Cook on low for 7 hours.
4) When finished, remove the cornbread in 8 sections. Then shred the chicken with two forks. Serve a piece on top of each serving of chicken.