I made these for a 4th of July BBQ & they came out exactly like I wanted them to. I love when that happens! If I had time I would have made cookie dough frosting from scratch, but I was pressed for time so I used store bought frosting & cake mix. The cookie dough center is the main taste in this cupcake so using store bought cake mix is fine for this. They were a huge hit at the party.
The trick is to freeze the cookie dough ball before you put them in the cupcake. Doing this lets the cupcake cook while the cookie dough only defrosts so you still have a gooey cookie dough center to bite into. The cookie dough is egg-less so eating it raw is fine.
The cookie dough recipe is for a large batch of cookie dough balls. I put them in candy cups & brought them to the party & served the leftover cookie dough balls on the same platter as the cupcakes. If you don’t want any leftover then half the recipe. I’ll definitely be making cookie dough frosting next time.
Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Servings: 24 Cupcakes
For the cookie dough center:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 sticks of butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1) Place the butter & sugars in a large mixing bowl & beat on med then high with an electric mixer. Add flour, baking soda, & salt and beat until blended. Add milk & vanilla extract & beat until gooey dough forms. Add in the chocolate chips & mix with your hands to combine them with the dough.
2) Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough & form into 1” balls. I filled about half the cookie scoop for each truffle. Place balls onto a baking pan. When finished, place in freezer for at least 4 hours. I left them in over night.
For the Cupcakes:
- Cookie dough balls
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Vanilla frosting (2 cans)
- Chocolate sprinkles for decoration
- 24 cupcake liners
1) Make cake batter according to instructions on the box. Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full & place a frozen cookie dough ball in the center. Don’t press it down - just drop it & let it sit there.
2) Bake cupcakes according to package instructions on the top rack of your oven.
(You don’t know that cookie dough is hiding in the middle!)
3) Let them cool & decorate with the frosting & sprinkles.