Is it Tso’s or Tsao’s? I always wrote it Tsao’s but who knows. Tso what?
If you really need to, you can make this with chicken but you should really give it a try with tofu first. The tofu in this recipe is crunchy outside & soft inside & is really just perfect. This is how I like my tofu & if you’re serving tofu to non-plant eaters then you should cook it this way & knock their socks off.
I’m dedicating this recipe to my BFF because the two of us had the most amazing vegan general tso’s in Brooklyn last weekend & I haven’t stopped thinking about it since. Love you, lady.
Tofu General Tso’s
Servings: 2 ● Points Plus: 9
Ingredients for the Tofu:
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu, drained for 20 minutes & cut into 1” squares
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg white
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 TB canola oil for frying
Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 1 TB canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tsp grated ginger (I use the crushed in a jar kind. Smells like heaven)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 TB soy sauce
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 1 tsp sweet chili sauce (Trader Joe’s makes an awesome one)
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha (or more if you like it hot hot hot)
- 2 TB agave nectar
1) In a large mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the tofu (egg replacer, corn starch, sesame oil, soy sauce). Mix it together until it forms a thick paste.
2) In another bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce & set aside. Make sure you whisk everything well so the cornstarch doesn’t clump.
3) Add the tofu cubes to the paste. They will stick as if they were stuck in concrete. Don’t attempt to coat them using a spoon. Get your hands in there & get dirty & make sure they are covered on all sides with the paste.
4) Heat the 2 TB canola oil in a pan & fry the tofu on all sides. Keep an eye on it because it will fry quick. Transfer tofu to a paper towel lined plate & dab off any excess oil.
4) Heat a wok or a large frying pan (I used a wok because they’re fun). Pour the sauce mixture into the pan & bring to a boil. It will start to thicken as soon as it begins boiling. Reduce to a simmer & stir until it’s slightly thick. Add the tofu to the sauce, toss to coat, and simmer a few minutes.
5) Before the sauce gets too thick, pour it with the tofu over rice & veggies & lick your plate clean.