Adapted from What’s Cookin’ Chicago? (go check out this blog. It’s wonderful!)
This recipe exceeded all of my expectations. I may or may not have stared at it through my oven in awe of the cheesy crust that formed. I served this with cauliflower gratin & a side of honey mustard for dipping. You don’t really need the honey mustard, but I’m an addict.
Putting everything into your food processor is the trick here. You can simply crush up the crackers, but something about having the cheddar & crackers be the same consistency made the breading perfect. I also added some panko to the mix for added crunch. They got a huge “wow” from Frank. Enjoy!
Cheddar, Cracker, & Panko Chicken
Servings: 4 ● Points Plus: 6
- 1 lb thin sliced boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 16 Keebler butter crackers (or any crackers you like)
- 6 oz Cabot 2% cheddar, cut into chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 scallions, cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Pam spray
1) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees & spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
2) Place the scallions, cheddar, garlic, salt, pepper, and crackers in your food processor. Pulse until everything is the same size, making sure not to make everything too small. It should have the consistency of panko.
3) Place the crumb mixture into a dish, add the panko, and combine.
4) Spray the thin chicken breasts with the Pam spray, coat each side in the crumb mixture, and place on baking sheet. You might have to press the crumb mixture into the chicken to get it to stick. Once all of the chicken is coated bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, flipping the chicken half way through.
*Note: The Points Plus values are for the chicken AFTER they are coated. I was left with almost half of the crumb mixture & deducted the points from there to figure out the total of each serving.