I had a serious crunchy food craving yesterday & decided to finally take a look through the Emily Bites main course cupcake recipes that everyone raves about. Her original Taco Cupcakes inspired my version. Mine is vegetarian because I didn’t feel like eating ground beef last night. Skipping the beef & loading them up with black beans saved 2 PP per Cupcake! I ate two right out of the oven & they were incredible. Thanks for the idea, Emily!
The secret ingredients that made these so delicious were Cheeze Whiz & Trader Joe’s corn salsa. I always have a jar of that salsa in my fridge & it really brightens up meals. It’s sweet with a slight kick to it & is perfect against spicy salsa. I suggest going out & getting a jar, but if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you just sub in sub frozen corn kernels.
Black Bean Taco “Cupcakes”
Servings: 4 ● Points Plus: 4
- 16 wonton wrappers
- 1 can black beans with jalapenos, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 packet of taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 8 TB fat free refried beans
- 8 TB shredded Weight Watchers Mexican cheese
- 8 tsp Cheeze Whiz (yummmmmmm)
- 8 TB Trader Joe’s corn salsa
- Your favorite salsa (about 8 TB) - I used Trader Joe’s
1) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a cupcake tin with non-stick spray & press a wonton wrapper into 8 cupcake holes.
2) Saute the onion in a pan. When soft add the black beans & garlic. Toss until the black beans are warm. Add 1/4 cup water and the taco seasoning, toss & turn off the heat.
3) In the cupcake tin, layer the following on top of the wonton wrapper:
- 1 TB refried beans
- 1 tsp Cheeze Whiz
- 1 TB corn salsa
- Second wonton wrapper (really push this down)
- 1.5 TB black bean mixture
- 1 TB regular salsa
- 1 TB shredded cheese
4) Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes. Let cool & remove cupcakes from tin. Top with your favorite taco toppings!